Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 19:11:45 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Shells for you and shells for me

At 4:23 PM -0500 10/26/98, Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Is the actual fragments that are art of autoconf causing the
> problem, or is it in the configure.in that the package author
> has written?

Some general macros in autoconf, such as AC_PATH_PROGS,
can (with the right parameters) result in something like:

IFS=: (and some other things)
for ac_dir in $PATH:/other/path:/another/path ; do
    if test -f $ac_dir/$ac_word ; then
       ...do stuff...
    fi
done
IFS= (what it used to equal)

The problem is that IFS should effect what happens with the
expansion of $PATH, but it should not (apparently) effect the
rest of the line.  The guy who put together this autoconf-ed
program in question believes that he was using autoconf 2.12.
It does look like 2.12 is trying to avoid this problem, and
code he ended up with *did* work on the all platforms that we
tried except for /bin/sh under FreeBSD.  I must admit I don't
really know enough about autoconf to figure out how all the
various pieces of autoconf come together, though.

[not that this is critical to the original topic of this
thread, but I thought I'd supply a few more details...]

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute