Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 2014 10:59:34 -0400
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        William <william@firstyear.id.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Loader vs loader efi ficl incompatibility

On 29 October 2014 18:45, William <william@firstyear.id.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> To get my laptop working (Macbook pro) with freebsd, at boot you need to
> outb to some memory locations before boot so that graphics works.

Do you happen to have a good reference for the io ports you mention? I
see them described on a number of Linux forums, but a canonical source
would be nice.

> Are there differences in the ficl interpreter between loader and
> loader.efi? Is this perhaps a bug?

The loader only includes inb and outb for i386 (the non-UEFI loader is
32-bit for both i386 and amd64):

#ifdef __i386__
    dictAppendWord(dp, "outb",      ficlOutb,       FW_DEFAULT);
    dictAppendWord(dp, "inb",       ficlInb,        FW_DEFAULT);
#endif

We'd need to make these available in the 64-bit loader.efi, although
I'd really like to have MBP support be handled automatically in the
loader itself.