Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 13:43:43 -0500
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "Harry M. Leitzell" <Harry_M_Leitzell@cmu.edu>, Liam Slusser <liam@tiora.net>, Kenny Drobnack <kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Securing a system that's been rooted remotely (Was: BPF on in 3.3-RC GENERIC kernel)

On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 11:25:05PM -0600, a little birdie told me
that Brett Glass remarked

> securelevel=2 and above disables LKMs, IIRC.

I can't imagine anyone who would need and use a high securelevel like
that, and still run a GENERIC kernel.  If they do, then their worldview
would seem to be slightly skewed.  I run a custom (2.1.5-REL) kernel on
musca, which is a 386 SX/20.  It took 6 hours to compile.  On mortis
(4.0-CURRENT) a kernel takes approx. 2 minutes to compile.  This is not a
major time investment.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fullermd@over-yonder.net
Unix Systems Administrator      |    fullermd@futuresouth.com