Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 16:07:04 -0800
From:      Edwin Culp <eculp@EnContacto.Net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bridging with 3C589D-COMBO on 4.2-RELEASE?

Quoting Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>:

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 00:41 -0500, The Babbler wrote:
> >
> > I read the FreeBSD readme.  And I've had a nubmer of posting in
> > the emultors group as I got things working there, too.  The
> > bridging would never work for me, but my final conclusion is
> > that my card doesn't work with bridging, I guess.  Only some
> > cards do.  (It says *that* in the handbook and the bridge man
> > page.)
>
> It has been stated in the thread before, but let me repeat it:
> You have this experience of "bridging doesn't work" with a
> -RELEASE.  Did you ever consider using -STABLE?  You might want
> to visit the cvs-all archive and look out for luigi@FreeBSD.org's
> commit messages to RELENG_4.  There's been a lot of them related
> to bridging lately (late January, I guess).
>
> I don't know if simple boot / fixit floppies will enable you to
> check this setup.  But you might want to update your system after
> reading the commit messages.

I really haven't been following this thread but the reference to the fixit
floppies reminded me of the link that Luigi has on his dummy net site to a
picobsd floppy that is a self contained router/bridge with extras such as
bandwidth control.  This way you don't have to change O.S.'s or even compile
anything just download 1.4M and give it a try.

http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ip_dummynet/

Plus the page, while focused on dummynet, is jam-packed with valuable general
information for filtering, firewalls, bridging, etc.

If you have already done this and I'm repeating or am answering a question that
wasn't asked, please accept my apologies.  I should pay more attention to the
threads.

ed