Date:      Wed, 06 Nov 2002 16:52:14 +0000
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
Cc:        Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>, Iasen Kostov <ikostov@otel.net>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NFS functions does *NOT* check if they really have allocated any memory

In message <200211061619.gA6GJZ93002593@arch20m.dellroad.org>, Archie Cobbs wri
tes:
>Oops, you're right.. sorry for the misinformation.
>
>Sounds like a bug to me (did Iasen file a PR?)

kern/38872 already exists, and I'm sure there is a much older PR
that also describes this problem. Basically it is hard to fix because
the errors are detected so deep within functions and macros that
were never designed to correctly handle mbuf allocation failures.

I think the most feasable solution would be to use libmchain or
something like it, but even that is a huge amount of work. The
workaround is of course just setting nmbclusters/nmbufs so high
that they never run out...

Ian