Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 2004 18:52:32 -0600
From:      Jon Noack <noackjr@compgeek.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerrit_K=FChn?= <gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems shutting down a dual p3 on 5.x

On 1/17/2004 1:59 PM, Gerrit K=FChn wrote:
> Hi folks,
>=20
> since I'm using the 5.x series (I tried DP2, 5.0, 5.1 and now 5.2) I ha=
ve
> problems when shutting down my dual P3 server (MSI 694 Pro AIR mobo).=20
> The problems varied over the different versions of FreeBSD:=20
> Either there was a panic, or the machine got stuck after the first whit=
e=20
> line of kernel messages ("shutting down vlrnu ok" or whatever that was)=
,=20
> or sometimes it even worked fine. When the machine got stuck there were=
=20
> also different behaviours when pressing the power button in that state=20
> (according to the BIOS it should switch of after 4s): Either switching =
off=20
> after 4s, or blanking the screen at once and switching off after 4s, or=
=20
> even shutting down correctly after 3-4s when releasing the power button=
=20
> fast enough (otherwise it would switch off before having finished the=20
> power-down process).
> My main problem with this that all file systems come up dirty after
> switching off in this "stuck" state.
> Can anyone with the same mainboard confirm these problems?
> I can post (verbose) dmesg and acpidump here if this helps in tracking =
down
> the problem, or put it on a webserver for downloading.
>=20
>=20
> cu
>   Gerrit

I have an Abit VP6 (same 694X northbridge) also running dual P3s.  I=20
remember seeing this issue a while back (sorry -- I can't even remember=20
if it was when the machine was running 4.9 or after I upgraded to 5.1).=20
  I have definitely not seen it since I updated to 5.2-BETA (I am now=20
running 5.2-RELEASE).

Jon