Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2001 18:19:29 +0800
From:      Harsanyi Alexandru <harsanyi@bigpond.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   kill -TERM pppd_pid does not hang-up modem

Hi,

I just installed FreeBSD 4.1.1 on my computer, and I'm new to the
FreeBSD system. I have the following problem:

when I try to shut down the ppp link via 'kill -TERM pppd_pid' pppd
shuts down the ppp0 interface, but does not hang-up my modem (if I pick
up the phone,  I hear wisteling). I tried various options (crtscts,
xonxoff and a disconnect script with a +++ and ATH command) and nothing
worked.

I also found no info on shuting down a ppp connection, only various ways
to start it up.

Can someone help me here, or at least point me to some info?

BTW, is there a way to know the DNS addresses advertised by my ISP when
using pppd? I only found info for it on ppp not pppd.

Thanx,
Alex.