Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 2003 11:30:02 -0400
From:      Danny <onegative@charter.net>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   AlphaStation 200 Mustang Installation Help

I am having trouble getting FreeBSD installed.  I have
tried the 5.1 Disk1 and 5.1 minisnt images with no
success.

Please read below and see if you see anything obvious that
I am doing wrong.

Firmware V6.9-4
PALcode VMS PALcode V5.56-2, OSF PALcode X1.46-2
Serial Rom V4.6
Diag ROM V1.7

Processor
DecChip 21064A-2  233Mhz 512KB Cache

Memory
96MB

>>> show boot*
boot_dev            dka0.0.0.6.0
boot_file
boot_osflags
boot_reset          ON
bootdef_dev         dka0.0.0.6.0
booted_dev
booted_file
booted_osflags

>>> show dev
dka0.0.0.6.0            dka0         IBM DFHSS4F    !p
4141
dka500.0.0.6.0          dka500        Compaq CDR-254V
dva0.0.0.0.1            dva0
ewa0.0.0.11.0           ewa0           00-00-F8-23-3F-10
pka0.7.0.6.0            pka0            SCSI Bus ID 7

And I am booting from the installation CD as follows:

>>> boot dka500 -FLAGS "-FILE"

The system boots the CDROM.

Gets past the switching to the OSF PAL succeeded.

FreeBSD/alpha SRM CD9660 boot, Revision 1.2
/boot/kernel/kernel data=0x4cd740+0x63ca0
syms=[0x0+0x65550+0x8+0x4d8a3]
-
Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for
command prompt
Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]...
Entering kernel @ 0xfffffc000033f0e0

screen flickers and shifts one character left and wraps
the left characters onto the right side of the screen,
then

>>> halted CPU 0

>>> halt code = 5
>>> Halt instruction executed
>>> PC=fffffc0000650e20

>>> CPU 0 booting

Then it cycles through the CDROM boot again and again.
 Inever get the configuration GUI to start the
installation process.  The hard drive has NT loaded on it
and if I Flash the ROM back to ARC, it will boot the NT
system no problem.

Any and all suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Danny