Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 1996 06:52:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        exidor@nimbus.superior.net (Christopher Masto)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 8 character login limit?!

Christopher Masto wrote:

> Branson Matheson writes:
> >  GRRRRR... Here we go again... instead of saying there is too much the
> >  will need to be fixed to make this available... lets say, what is
> >  broken, chmod in this case, fix it and apply a change to the source
> >  tree. This question will CONTINUE to come up as more and more people
> >  use our product. We should not alienate those who want this feature
> >  just because it will break things.. lets fix the problem.
>
> It will break things every day for the rest of your life.  It can't be
> "fixed" unless you think you can track down every Unix program someone
> might want to use that tries to stick a user name in an 8-character
> space.

	GROSS HACK ALERT

	8-character programs must have login names limited to 8-character.
	the login name must be unique in the first 8-characters
	add an arg to the end of the system calls
	a pointer to a string, the longer login name, if any goes there.
	any program that works now will continue to work
	any program that has been modifid to use longer login names
	can do so.

	(ughhhhhh.)

anonymous ;)