Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 20:45:24 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Graham Wheeler <gramster@mweb.co.za>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using FreeBSD with Ontrack

Hi all

There is a similar question in the archives but it isn't answered
satisfactorily, so its worth asking again.

I have a 16Gb HDD, which I want to use with an old Pentium motherboard
(pre-MMX). The BIOS doesn't let me specify disks greater than about 8Gb.

Ontrack is installed, and the drive was originally used just for
MS-Win 98.

I used fips to shrink the Windows partition to about 6Gb, and created
a .5 Gb partition for FreeBSD root, /var and swap. I then created two
partitions each about 5Gb, one for a FAT-32 partition and one for /usr.

These were created using FreeBSD's fdisk. I then installed a minimal
distribution of FreeBSD 4.0.

All seemed well, but when I try to boot the FreeBSD partition, I
see a message "not ufs", and then another "no /kernel". Then I get
a boot prompt:

FreeBSD boot: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel

The root partition should be 0:ad(1,a), but entering that doesn't
work, I get the "not ufs" message again.

I'm not sure what to do. I could possibly get it to work by removing
Ontrack and making both FAT-32 partitions lie within the first 8Gb,
but I would like to use more than half the drive for MS-Windows, as
this will be used for multimedia. So I would like things to work with
Ontrack.

BTW if I boot a fixit CD, I have no problem mounting /dev/ad0s2 as root,
/dev/ad0s2e as /var, and /dev/ad0s3f as /usr, as they appear in the fstab.
So it seems to be very much a boot problem only.

Any ideas anyone?
Thanks
gram