Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 20:53:00 -0400
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, f-q <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ps & terminal width sensitivity inside a script

this was, on the fateful occasion around Aug 17 17:13 -0400,
sent by Kevin Oberman

{ in last episode, i was disappointed by the "just 'cause"
  explanation for ps' sensitivity to terminal width...
}

> OK. Here is something more reasonable (but just a bit).

> There was no termcap or terminfo. There were no windows or even
> CRTs. Since everything was one or the other, ps(1) was written with
> three options, default, w, and ww at 80, 132, and unlimited width,
> respectively. Since LOTS of people wrote aliases and shell scripts that
> were linked to this hard-coded behavior, the very idea of changing it
> was met by screams of protest, so that's where we still are.

so, in this day & age nobody (or not enough bodies) protests anymore?

i also got a similar (one liner) reply from mike meyer. after that i
had a funny feeling that it just might be the legacy.

btw, kevin, your mail did help to sooth my pain, even if a little.

> The SysV ps(1) started from scratch behaving in a reasonable fashion,
> but BSD systems seem forever tied to the bygone days of Teletypes.

i suppose there won't be any changes coming anytime soon(?).