Date:      Thu, 28 Dec 1995 06:57:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   "To parity, or not to parity; that is the question..."

well, OK, I guess Shakespear was never really into computers.  But, like
Romeo, I too am facing a difficult dilemma when next I walk into a
computer show or store.  Because, I now have some Xmas cash burning a
hole in my pocket, I want some memory, and I want it NOW.

But I don't know what kind of memory I need to get.

Unfortunately, since my computer is pretty much "home brew", I can't
exactly call up tech support and say "hey!  Do I need parity chips for a
<Brand X> 486 computer?"

People have said "check your BIOS setup program, if it has any settings
that mention anything parity-related, then you probably need it."  I did
this, but alas, none of the configurable stuff had anythig even remotely
to do with parity.  Nor did any of the jumper settings on the motherboard
do with this either.  Nor did the manual mention anything about parity.
When mentioning how to add memory, it basically said "Buy them SIMM
things and stick'um in them thar little slots."

What I CAN tell you is that my motherboard uses AMI WinBIOS, circa 1993.
WinBIOS is the one with the cutesy BIOS setup program that has a GUI that
looks like Windows.  The motherboard is ISA+VLB, and supports 486 and
486-Overdrive chips (i.e. it has a socket with more pins on it than a
normal 486 chip).  The chipset on the motherboard is OPTi (OPTi895?
can't be sure until next I reboot).

I have 2 4MB SIMM sticks in there now, for a total of 8 MB.  I remember
when I bought them that they EACH ran slightly less than $200 (around
$198 or something) including CA sales tax (7.75%).  (this was last
year) Neither the receipt nor the memory chips themselves say whether
they're parity or not, and the store doesn't have any idea either.

My guess is that my system can take either parity or non-parity, since
most of the "clones" are pretty non-partial about it, and some don't even
check for parity errors.

I apologize for asking this here, I quite simply had nowhere else to turn.
If you take offense, feel free to flame me in private.

Thanks for your help, and sorry I can't be a little more specific.

Donald Burr [d_burr@ix.netcom.com], PO Box 91212, Santa Barbara CA 93190-1212
TEL (805)564-1871 / FAX 564-2315 / WWW http://www.geopages.com/WallStreet/2072
PGP Public Key available by request (send e-mail) or on Public Key Servers.
** Uphold your right to privacy - Use PGP. **