Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 21:51:34 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        gibbs@scsiguy.com (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd), wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG (Bill Paul), imp@village.org (Warner Losh), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vx driver patch

> >The EISA code currently doesn't reserve resources for empty slots.
> >
> >I'd like to make the bus driver reserve all EISA specific address space
> >though.
>
> This would prevent an ISA card that just happens to use an EISA
> like identification scheme from attaching after EISA.  Unfortunately,
> the 2842VL card does this.

There are a huge number of VESA Localbus cards that identify as
EISA cards, including having all the EISA device identifier stuff
in tehir ROMs.  The disk controllers are the worst, but I have
seen at least two video boards that do the same thing.

Though I'd like to deprecate VESA Localbus as an abomination, I
guess it has to be supported.

Maybe it would be possible to have a separate "VLBus" bus that
went in before the EISA bus?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---