Date:      Tue, 20 Sep 2011 13:02:47 +0200
From:      Rafael NAVAZA <rnavaza@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: OpenLDAP + CARP

Thank you for the reply Matthew.

I'm indeed using the built in=20
failover capability of LDAP clients. It works just fine when the first=20
LDAP server is powered off=2C but it does not work that well when slapd=20
becomes a zombi ( because the clients take about 1 min to try the second
 LDAP server=2C for each request=2C every time ... )
It is for that reason I'm interested in building a HA cluster for OpenLDAP.

I'm
 currently using the single-master replication and I will certainly move
 to a mirrormode or a n-way multimaster replication schema (as long as=20
the multimaster is used with CARP=2C this mode is equivalent to a=20
mirrormode with more than 2 replicas=2C isn't it ?).

As far as I=20
know CARP will not check if the slapd is running correctly=3B that could=20
be a problem if the CARP Master has a failing slapd. Do I have to=20
monitor slapd with a third party software (like Monit) ? Can I configure
 CARP and OpenLDAP to watch each other more closely ?

Rafael.

 		 	   		  =