Date:      22 Mar 1996 21:20:12 -0600
From:      "Richard Wackerbarth" <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        "freebsd-hubs@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-hubs@FreeBSD.ORG>, "hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Peter Wemm" <peter@jhome.DIALix.COM>
Subject:   Re(2): new sup server

Peter Wemm wrote:
> Am I the only one that thinks that using sup to feed the sup mirrors is
> *extemely* prone to error?
[snip]
> CTM would be *far* better to feed the mirrors with, if only it preserved the
> timestamps of the files. (phk: hint hint! :-)
>
> (note: I'm only suggesting the possibility of geting the data to the mirrors
> via ctm, not suggesting that the mirrors stop providing sup access once
> they've got the data..  big difference..)

>Unfortunately, the lack of timestamp preservation pretty much rules out ctm
if it's for a mirrored sup-server which depends on the timestamps.

Well, I totally agree. And I have a suggestion that would be very easy to
implement.

All we need to do is add a directive to ctm to set the timestamps to a FIXED
time for that update.  That way ALL the sup mirrors, and anyone else who gets
the ctm update, would have the same time for each file, namely the timestamp
associated with the last ctm update of that file.

This method of update would also eliminate the problem of staggering access.
All mirrors would get updated about the same time, whether it was ten minutes
or ten hours after the run started on the master host.

It would also have the additional advantage that I could use sup to bring my
personal tree up-to-date and immediately switch to ctm to continue future
updates.