Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 2002 02:19:12 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        groggy11@mail.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bad isp - dns

groggy11@mail.com wrote:
> this is a problem in regards to FreeBSD maillists.
> FBSD maillists do a DNS lookup on any host sending
> email.  my ISP refuses to pass on DNS queries to
> my server, so clients on my network cannot
> have their name->number mappings answered.
>
> i have had this problem for years, and
> the ISP is the major telephone/communications
> company for the city.  i don't guess i have any
> "rights" to force them to pass on DNS queries
> to my server - so what can i do???
>
> (besides change ISPs, there are various reasons
>  why that is an unacceptable solution).

I guess you must be talking about reverse delegations,
since forward delegations for authority for DNS servers
is based on the domain registration.

My suggestion would be to select one of:

o	Get a forwarding account that uses SMTP AUTH for
	outbound mail relay by paying someone else for
	the service

o	Convince your ISP to do the delegation

o	Relay all your outbound email through your ISP's
	SMTP server that's there for normal relay for
	their normal clients

-- Terry