Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 2003 16:08:27 +0100
From:      "Markie" <markie@notwentytwo.freeserve.co.uk>
To:        "Jacob Vennervald Madsen" <jvennervald@proventum.net>, <dan@slightlystrange.org>
Subject:   Re: Removing default installed BIND

I posted a message a while back, you can actually use the Makefile
flag -DPORT_REPLACES_BASE_BIND9 to overwrite the base system bind8 :)
There's similar flags for OpenSSH and OpenSSL aswell.

No portupgrade (unsure, not had to install things without portupgrade for a
long while):
# make -DPORT_REPLACES_BASE_BIND9 install clean

Portupgrade:
# portinstall -m '-DPORT_REPLACES_BASE_BIND9' bind9

With the portupgrade tools you can also look at /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf
(I think) and look at MAKE_ARGS. Mine looks like this

 MAKE_ARGS = {
        'security/openssh-portable' => '-DOPENSSH_OVERWRITE_BASE',
        'security/openssl' => '-DOPENSSL_OVERWRITE_BASE',
        'net/bind9' => '-DPORT_REPLACES_BASE_BIND9'
  }

Basically portupgrade/install will look at this and automatically add the
flags to the ports, so typing `portinstall bind9` with them in MAKE_ARGS,
will have the same effect of using `portinstall -m '-DBLA' bind9`. This is
especially handy when upgrading the ports as it will automatically overwrite
the base again.

I'm not sure what sort of cruft and old, unused files by bind9, would be
left over from bind8, if any. I had a look at some of the bind8 Makefiles
for the base system at /usr/src/contrib/bind/ for any deinstall targets,
which would be quite useful, but there were none. Probably for good reasons.
You will also want to do NOBIND=true in /etc/make.conf so you don't
overwrite bind9 in a buildworld.

If anyone has good reasons not to use -DPORT_REPLACES_BASE_BIND9 I wouldn't
mind knowing, it's been working fine with me for a long while!

mrboo@bone:/home/mrboo$ which named
/usr/sbin/named
mrboo@bone:/home/mrboo$ /usr/sbin/named -v
BIND 9.2.2