Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:43:23 +0000
From:      Robert Downes <nullentropy@lineone.net>
To:        darryl@osborne-ind.com, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Building new kernel help

Darryl Hoar wrote:

>How do I boot the old kernel ?  I built the new one with the
>/usr/sbin/config, make depend, make,make install sequence.

make depend?

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that method of kernel building.
(However, I've never used Linux.)

I use the

    make buildkernel
    make installkernel

method.

If your method has built a kernel in the same manner, though, you might
be alright. When a new kernel is installed, the old one is renamed
kernel.old.

If this is the case, then you should still be able to boot from the
previous kernel. When the loader prompt appears (press Enter to skip
countdown, any other key to get the loader propmt... hit any key but
Enter), type the following:

    boot /boot/kernel.old

and if you do have the old kernel, it should boot, and everything should
work as before. Then you should read the Handbook about building kernels
in FreeBSD, and rebuild and install the GENERIC kernel.

--
Bob