Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 1996 09:06:21 -0600
From:      bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu (M. L. Dodson)
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Need ld help on SOCKS5 port

Hi,
I'm trying to compile SOCKS5 beta on FreeBSD 2.1R.  I'll make a port if
I can figure it out.  Got the tarball, unpacked it, ran (gnu) configure,
typed make.  Everything went without error (made several libraries as
well as compiling stuff), but when it got to constructing the
shared libraries, (needed for dynamic "socksification" of TCP/IP clients
without the need to recompile them) it bombed with the following
(the tail end of my make log):

      .
      .
      .
gcc -DFOR_SHARED_LIBRARY -fpic -DIN_LIBRARY -I../include -I. -I./../include    -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -c rcmd.c -o rcmd.so
gcc -DFOR_SHARED_LIBRARY -fpic -DIN_LIBRARY -I../include -I. -I./../include    -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -c libproto.c -o libproto.so
gcc -o libsocks5_sh.so -shared msg.so protocol.so auth.so log.so hostname.so rld.so cache.so wrap.so wrap_tcp.so  wrap_udp.so confutil.so conf.so select.so rcmd.so libproto.so  -lcompat
ld: No reference to __DYNAMIC
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

I grepped all the files in the main and subdirectories for DYNAMIC, with
no hits so I'm assuming this has something to do with the construction
of shared libraries on FBSD.  Man pages for ld and gcc were no help.  Can
someone with knowledge of the internal structure of shared objects give
me a hint?

TIA,
Bud Dodson