Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 00:40:00 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Joao Pedras <jpedras@mail.telepac.pt>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   autodisconnect failing

Hello everyone!

I connect to the internet using one of my FreeBSD boxes using isdn with i4b as
a gateway. It always as been configured to disconnect after some idle time.
Well it as always been working... until a couple days ago I noticed that it
wasn't disconnecting. I have also noticed this problem with several other people
using other operating systems in this area and with this isp.

The thing is, if I stay with everything idle I am able to notice that there is
incoming traffic.

The time interval between these packets is 1 or 2 seconds.
Please notice that this ONLY happens when the communications to the internet
are idle. These packets do NOT show up when normal traffic is taking place.
Why am I receiving this packets ?
I tried to know what are the contents of those packets and here is the result :

Frame (64 on wire, 64 captured)
    Frame arrived on Mar 22, 1999 00:25:24.1818
    Total frame length: 64 bytes
    Capture frame length: 64 bytes
Point-to-Point Protocol
    Address: ff
    Control: 03
    Protocol: IP (0x0021)
Internet Protocol
    Version: 4
    Header length: 20 bytes
    Type of service: 0x00 (None)
        000. .... = routine precedence
        ...0 .... = normal delay
        .... 0... = normal throughput
        .... .0.. = normal reliability
        .... ..0. = normal cost
    Total length: 60
    Identification: 0x0000
    Flags: 0x0
        .0.. .... = may fragment
        ..0. .... = last fragment
    Fragment offset: 0
    Time to live: 2
    Protocol: Unknown (58)
    Header checksum: 0xd274
    Source address: coi-rd1.telepac.net (194.65.66.234)
    Destination address: IGRP-ROUTERS.MCAST.NET (224.0.0.10)
[...]

Thank you for your help!

Joao Pedras

Sent using XFMail on 22-Mar-99 at 00:21:31
This message was sent by XFMail
proudly powered by FreeBSD
 -> http://www.freebsd.org <-  "The Power to Serve"