Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2000 17:08:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@privatelabs.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   changes in dd?

Hello!

I'm noticing a big difference between two -stable machines:

	0:	4.0-STABLE #1: Wed Apr 19 14:11:58 EDT 2000
	1:	4.0-STABLE #2: Fri Jun  2 16:53:15 EDT 2000

My application needs to save files on  the remote servers and I chose to
do it using dd,  because I could tell it exactly how  many bytes to read
and save without relying on the EOF.

My command line is:
	ssh -o'Compression no' -e none -c blowfish <server> \
		dd ibs=1 count=<size> of=/dev/null < /kernel.GENERIC

This works on both machines, but on the newer one it is much slower then
on  the  older one  (51  Kb/sec  vs. 3Mb/sec  !).  If  I remove  ``ibs=1
count=<size>'' the speed  is the same, but I can't  specify the size any
more. May be, it is not even dd, but something else in the system...

To work around I wrote my own little program, but I'm still curious what
changed in the system for such a dramatic difference...

TIA,

	-mi