Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 96 15:02:08 +0000
From:      Andrew.Gordon@net-tel.co.uk
To:        list:;
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re(2): I need help on this one - please help me track this guy down!

> -Vince- stands accused of saying:
> >
> >       Yeah, you have a point but jbhunt was watching the user as he
> > hacked root since he brought the file from his own machine.... so that
> > wasn't something the admin was tricked into doing..

But what file transfer mechanism was used?  NFS maybe?

Certainly a simple NFS mount of an untrusted machine is a dangerous thing to do, since setuids on those files will be obeyed.  Maybe you allow this via an incautious AMD map?

Personally, I like to mount all NFS filesystems "nosuid" - and likewise for all local systems exported by NFS (I don't normally export / or /usr).  Most users have no business creating setuid programs in their filespace, and such a policy would most likely have prevented this breach even if the setuid binary was created by some other means.

Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?"811-960625150230-D047*/G=Andrew/S=Gordon/O=NET-TEL Computer Systems Ltd/PRMD=NET-TEL/ADMD=Gold 400/C=GB/">