Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 02:12:03 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Our lemming-syncer caught in the act.

Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
> An image is worth a thousand words, but in this case it only
> says three words:  "Man, that sucks!".

Yes, it's really amazing that you draw conclusions about the quality
of our syncer (and expect us to instantly agree with them) based on
such a shitty graph.  I see no information at all about how it was
created, what the units are for the axes (and the green curve is most
likely in a different unit than the red bars), your bars are averages
which means there's no information about how many requests were
satisfied at each point in time, you don't say anything about what you
call a request and how you determine when it has been satisfied, etc.,
etc.

For all I know the green curve could show requests at the UFS level
and the red bars could show the time it takes before they hit the
disk, in which case the graph simply shows that softupdates is enabled
on the partition you did the testing on.

If you're trying to say what I think you're trying to say - i.e. "some
requests take a long time to be satisfied" - you should plot a
histogram where each bin corresponds to a time range and the height of
each bar corresponds to the number of requests whose age was in that
range when they were satisfied.  And you should make very very sure
that your definitions of "initiated" and "satisfied" were consistent
(i.e. at the exact same level in the I/O stack).

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org