Date:      Mon, 25 Apr 2011 11:19:00 -0400
From:      Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
To:        wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Issues with bwn wireless

On the same computer I have here:
http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?23,138126,138310,template=head%3F%3F
I've been having similar issues recently and I'm hoping to finally
resolve them. The only change from then is that I am now using
8-STABLE (r219789)

1) For some reason setting the ssid via ifconfig and setting wlan0 to
"up" doesn't do anything. I need to use wpa_supplicant even for an
OPEN network

2) I start wpa_supplicant with
network = {
ssid="fubar"
key_mgmt=NONE
}
and then run dhlient wlan0.
After this it seems that like I am associated and I'm able to ping
"google.com" for some number of packets and then it loses packets.
The routes, /etc/resolv.conf, and ip address all seem in order - even
after it stops responding.
ifconfig wlan0 still says "status: associated" even though I am unable
to ping anything or access the internet. In _some_ cases "dig" still
works.

3) Sometimes I see the channel cycling somewhat randomly during the
"associated but not working" time.

4) ifconfig wlan0 scan never shows anything but ifconfig wlan0 list scan does.

Any pointers or ideas to resolve these issues would be great!

--
Eitan Adler