Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 00:18:06 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        green@FreeBSD.ORG, wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu, cracauer@cons.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using float emulator on a system with FPU?

As Poul-Henning Kamp wrote ...
> In message <Pine.BSF.4.10.9907121625240.50180-100000@janus.syracuse.net>, "Bria
>
> >> I suggested about half a year ago that we should officially desupport
> >> non-FPU configurations in 4.0.  Unfortunately, my resolution was
> >> soundly defeated.
> >
> >Why shouldn't we? Noone uses machines without FPUs anymore. What non-ancient
> >CPU doesn't have an FPU? And we're talking about the i386 family here...
>
> A lot of 386 machines are being built into places where people will
> never know they are.  We should not kill that market.

www.tcja.nl was an ancient 386/40 until a couple of months ago. Low
traffic Web servers don't (generally) need an FPU.
No/low budget outfits run hardware most
people on this list would give away for free (or thrash altogether).

It is a M$-ism to discard a complete line of machines with each next
release...

Just my Dfl 0.02