Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 02:09:00 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@dmlb.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, keichii@peorth.iteration.net, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Subject:   Re: GSM vs. CDMA (was: VCD (was Re: cvs commit: src/sys/dev/ata

On 23-Jan-01 Greg Lehey wrote:

>>> You've jumped into this discussion relatively late (I hope).  We've
>>> already discussed this, along with the frequencies.
>>
>> Yes, I saw that.  I was more thinking about who you would be
>> pissing off if you turned one of these things on in the U.S.
>> near a military base.
>
> Hmm.  Yes, I wonder what would happen.  I wonder how long it would
> take them to work out what was going on.

A GSM phone will not transmit anything until it find a beacon being transmitted
by a basestation. There is a scanning procedure that looks at all possible
frequencies in use by all GSM networks (in a given band), followed
by a timing acquistion, followed by reading of various informational
packets transmitted in the beacon. The whole procedure is documented in
the GSM 05.08 and 05.10 standards.

The US military would not know anyone was using a phone because the phone
would just not do anything apart from saying "no network".

> Greg

Duncan

---