Date:      Tue, 04 Nov 1997 15:18:03 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: mv /usr/src/games /dev/null - any objections?

On Tuesday, 4th November 1997, "Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:

>And since when was rot13 a "game", anyway?  A pretty boring game, if
>you ask me :)

I agree it's not a game.  But I think we should keep it and all the other
utilities (factor, primes, banner, etc).  Perhaps they should be in /usr/bin
instead.  Regardless, I think they are useful, small, and no legal danger.

The rest can be moved to ports.  And any of them that are controversial can
be dealt with in the same way as other legally encumbered ports.  Given the
success of the ports system, this move is really years overdue!

I don't like the idea of one enormous "bsdgames" port.  They should be
individuals, just like all other ports.  Perhaps a "bsdgames" section could
be made, but even that isn't really necessary.

"fortune" could be a special case to appease that chap who would defect
to Linux. :-)  Personally, I would have no problems with installing it as
a port, just like the dozen or so other toys that I am particularly fond of.
I'm sure most people like "fortune", but how upset could they get if they
have to pick it out of the ports list to install it?

Stephen.