Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 1996 13:38:24 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Lowe <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
To:        CSP1DWD@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU, hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Cc:        multimedia@FREEBSD.ORG
Subject:   Mixer control program (jmix) - was:  Re: GUS PRO: functional!

> From: Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
>
> Just use vmix you can control the mic and line input with the gain
> control on vmix. It is not a big deal.
>
> The issue is that the AMD chipset does not fully emulate the CS4231 and that
> translates to that there is no separate control for mic and line
> input and  the control mechanism is the gain line.
>
> What I intent to do is to change the driver with respect to mic and line
> level control is to redirect the mixing controls to igain.
>
> I may do this small change this weekend if I can find the time to
> do it. At any rate, vat, guspnp6 and vmix does provide all the
> funcationality that you need.

Because the usefulness of vmix is approaching zero as time goes to 1997;
I hacked the hardware mixing functions out of vmix.  A new program called
``jmix'' is available for setting hardware mixers.  This is version 0.1.
You can pick it up from:

	ftp://ftp.cs.uwm.edu/pub/FreeBSD/jmix-0.1.tar.gz

You will need tcl7.5 and tk4.1 installed.  Jmix has only been tested
on -current.  If you have changes, additions, or, a man page please
let me know and I will include them next time around.

Jmix should locate the hardware mixers on your system and put up a
control panel for whatever mixers are available.  The menus and other
things still need some work, but I thought someone might find the
program useful in its current state.

	-Jim