Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2013 15:56:46 +0100
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, marino@freebsd.org, lukasz@wasikowski.net
Subject:   Re: State of the Porters' Handbook

--Lb0e7rgc7IsuDeGj

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 11:40:50AM +0100, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> On 28/10/2013 11:26, John Marino wrote:
> >>
> >> Stage replaceses strings in installed files?
> >=20
> > No, the port does that kind of thing in the stage directory.  After
> > everything is installed there in the stage directory, they are packaged
> > or installed into the $PREFIX
> >=20
> >> I can see the benefits for less error prone package building. But righ=
t now
> >> it's just additional work coming my way.
> >=20
> > You really need to get a better grasp of the concept.  There are several
> > emails from bapt that may help.  For new ports it's not "additional"
> > work and for existing ports, yes there is a conversion but the benefits
> > are worth it.
> >=20
> >>
> >> There is a procedure. Stuff belongs into the handbook. Stick to it.
> >=20
> > Fine, but it's a huge topic that somebody has to write and validate.
> > You're willing to criticize (justified) but unwilling to help rectify
> > the problem.
>=20
> Well, bsd.stage.mk isn't well commented either. I think right now only
> the person who implemented it could write reasonable documentation.
>=20
> >  If you only want to complain, I think you've made your
> > point (a point that everyone is already aware of).
> >=20
> > FYI, I have no dog in the hunt other than I believe stage is a welcome
> > update to ports.
>=20
> 1. Implementation
> 2. Testing
> 3. Documentation
> 4. Mandatory
>=20
> We're in stage 2 and it's already mandatory. I'm not against staging,
> I'm against making things prematurely mandatory.

With that kind of reasoning we get the ports tree we have now. Meaning a pi=
le of
inconsistent, inefficient things, and things like UNIQUENAME not being UNIQ=
UE
etc.

the stage work is a 3 years work almost, that has been half abandonned, a l=
ot of
time.

Documentation on how to convert has been done on the wiki before making sta=
ging
mandatory and completed since.

Documentation for the handbook is another beast because the whole handbook =
as to
be touched and reviewed, and I ask a couple of time to people to help me
documenting on the handbook.

I don't buy the opinion that the handbook is totally outdated, all the feat=
ures
I added but stage are in the handbook including shebang fix ! so perhaps th=
at
can be improved but that is there.

Before committing the stage support I made sure that all previous things has
been documented.

and sorry but my priority is to have the ports tree back into a sane state =
where
we have consistency and sane packages, do documentation has much as I can a=
nd I
try to avoid having too much latency for documentation.

Bapt

--Lb0e7rgc7IsuDeGj

--Lb0e7rgc7IsuDeGj--