Date:      Mon, 4 May 2009 16:00:22 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NIC

On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 04:31:16PM -0400, Robert Huff wrote:

> 	Conversely, cards based on RealTek chips have a reputation of
> being both inexpensive /and/ cheap.  (This may or may not be true of
> the wireless cards.)

The first generation of RealTek chips were little more than a shift
register and deserved a poor reputation for requiring a lot of CPU
resources. That got RT into market share and now have satisfactory
product.

> 	The drivers for the Intel cards are written by Intel; I've got
> a dual-port Pro/1000 GT, and the thing is a _rock_.

Ditto. Intel NICs are exceptionally well supported. If one must run
Windows, an Intel NIC and Intel driver provide a lot of features which
are otherwise missing.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net