Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 07:34:44 -0600
From:      Jesse McConnell <jesse@gallup.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   bsd.java.mk

Great idea!  I think this will really help increase peoples awareness
for java support on freebsd.  I would love to get more people aware of
how good java is on fbsd.  I have run the linux JDK's a lot and they
just seem prone to failures when you change kernel versions, or
especially have any differences in the glibc stuff.  Never really had a
problem with java on fbsd. :)

I wanted to comment on that bsd.java.mk file.  I really like the
idea of adding it as I am working jboss ports at the moment.  I should
make that a lot easier.  One note that I think we might want to consider
is where javadoc information could go.

Perhaps if those are chosen to be installed then we could install them
into ${PREFIX}share/doc/java .  All javadoc apis could be installed into
subdirs based on port name and then tweak a html file in that java
directory adding the link to that subdir's api info.  Then flash a
message at the end of the port install mentioning that the docs are
browsable via a local browser or by linking to that directory from
perhaps /usr/local/www/data.  That would all people to link in a page or
directory which would provide access to all javadoc info.

Another thing I have read talked about is where the jars could go on
simple things like helper classes.  I like the idea of helper classes
getting installed in something like /usr/local/java/libs or jars.  Then
we could provide a script like the glib12-config and gtk12-config only
for the classpath.

It would be handy to be able to set your classpath with all those
special helper classes just by typing:

export CLASSPATH=`java-config`

Anyway, I am about 74 messæges behind on the mailing list so sorry if
some of this has been talked about already.

my thoughts,

Jesse

--
Jesse McConnell                         <jesse@gallup.com>
The Gallup Organization                 (402) 486-6987