Date:      Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:17:04 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        CHris Rich <freebsdnews@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make buildworld and UPDATING

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 09:11:27AM -0600, CHris Rich wrote:
> While reading updating I see this:
>
> 20050227:
>         The default "world" build no longer supports running on an
>         80386 CPU.  In order to build a world for an 80386 CPU, one
>         needs to set CPUTYPE=i386 in /etc/make.conf.
>
> does this mean that 80486's and above don't need to set it?

Correct. If you are using a '486 or later you do not *have* to set
CPUTYPE to anything.  If you wish to optimize for your particular CPU
you could set CPUTYPE to reflect the CPU you are actually using, but it
is not necessary other than for a real 80386.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson