Date:      Fri, 20 May 2005 17:02:13 -0500
From:      Ryan Winograd <rylwin@houston.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: all users to mount cd's

Ryan Winograd wrote:

> On May 20, 2005 04:10 pm, Ryan Winograd wrote:
>
>>> Is there an easy way to allow any user to mount cd's?
>>> Well, yes. I have proper perms on cd devs and if a user creates
>>> a directory he owns he can mount from command line w/ sudo.
>>>
>>> There are, however, some requiremnents i am trying to meet.
>>>
>>> I would like the mounting process to be much easier. I am using
>>> KDE and would like to have the cd's mount automatically so that
>>> the users don't have to know how to use the command line. How
>>> can I accomplish this?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for all advice,
>>> Ryan w
>>>

> Everything in that FAQ still works :
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#USER-FLOPPYMOUNT
>

> Basically, type sysctl  vfs.usermount=1 or add the line
> vfs.usermount=1 to /etc/sysctl.conf so that it changes itself at
> boot.  Make sure your cdrom has the correct permission in
> /etc/devfs.conf (example : perm acd0 777).
> Make a user-readable folder in the users home directory
> (/home/myself/cdrom)
> Make a fstab entry in /etc/fstab for that user (/dev/acd0
> /home/myself/cdrom cd9660 ro,noauto 0 0)
> Make an device icon on the KDE desktop with that user's fstab entry
> (found in the Device tab).
>
> Anyone sees a mistake in this, please fix,
>
> Nicolas.

I was hoping to avoid adding to the fstab for every user on my network.
Otherwise that would work. I got another suggestion recommending using
amd (automounter), which i will look into a little more. Thx for advice
though.

Side note: Is it a mistake to be using FreeBSD as a desktop OS? Its main
purpose is as a server, FreeBSD even admits its goal is not to be a
desktop OS. So should i be looking for a Linux solution here? It might
be worth looking into.

Anyways, i'll report back when i explore amd a little bit.