Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 13:43:16 -0600
From:      "Mike Oligny" <moligny@kanotech.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   duplex mismatch or something bad like that?

...excuse the cross-post.  I really am sorry.  *g*

I just replaced an old 10BaseT/UTP NIC with a new (cheapo-RTL8139-sort)
100BaseT NIC.  The reason I replaced this card had nothing to do with
difference in speed -- I just didn't want an ISA card in this server
anymore... if it ain't broke, break it?  Anyway, it is plugged into a
10BaseT hub and for some reason it figured it should use full duplex. =20

6k/second is not a lot of fun.  Especially after doing stupid things
like making new cables thinking that the old ones might have split pairs
or something.  (Everyone I work with seems to think that it doesn't
matter which wires you put where when making cables, as long as they go
straight through...  is this a common misconception? Grrr...)

# ifconfig rtl0 media 10baset/utp=20

Yay!  Network all better.  I don't know the syntax for just saying 'half
duplex' and didn't bother to look.  This works great.

Is this a bug?  Should the NIC drivers be a little more intelligent?
Has this subject been beaten to death elsewhere?  Happens with
4.3-20010525-STABLE, and 4.1.1 for sure.

FreeBSD xxx.xxx.xxx 4.3-20010525-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-20010525-STABLE #0:
Fri May 25 12:00:06 GMT 2001
root@usw3.freebsd.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386