Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 00:40:55 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        ben@rosengart.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: executables over NFS

> Are executables loaded over NFS treated the same as local executables
> with regard to paging?  Specifically, do they use the remote file as
> backing store, or local swap space?

They are treated as local files -- that is, first page-in is from
the vnode, and subsequently aggressively cached, including page-out
to local swap store in preference to discard, so subsequent page-in
is from local swap store.

The fact that a downed NFS server and/or modifications of a file on
the NFS server (because the server doesn't know it's being used as
a swap store) are my biggest gripes against memory overcommit.  I
have long been a proponent of an NFS mount option that would result
in non-overcommit behaviour, ie: copy the pages to local swap store
and mark them as non-discardable if you are executing an image from
that FS.

This was also my biggest gripe with dataless SunOS and Solaris
installations as well, FWIW.  One server crash, and forty engineers
are twiddling their thumbs...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---