Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2013 10:06:39 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        perryh@pluto.rain.com (Perry Hutchison)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: line lengths in /etc/hosts

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 01:57:48 -0700, Perry Hutchison wrote:
> I can easily suppress access to unwanted web sites by adding
> names to the localhost line in /etc/hosts, like this:
>
>   127.0.0.1	localhost localhost.my.domain bad1.com bad2.com ...
>
> My version of that line has gotten rather long :)

Without actually havint tested this, but have you considered
using the \ continuation character (linebreak escape) to avoid
the problem? Also I think there's not a generic limit to the
/etc/hosts file itself, but maybe to the input buffers of the
programs that read this file...

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany