Date:      Sat, 4 May 2002 21:43:37 +0600 (YEKST)
From:      Ilia Chipitsine <ilia@cgu.chel.su>
To:        Tim Boring <tboring@insight.rr.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: exporting /home via SMB

Salut, Tim Boring !

On 4 May 2002, Tim Boring wrote:

> > > What would be the point of that?  You can set up the Samba config file
> >
> > the point of that would be setting a server which imports user database
> > using NIS+Kerberos, and home directories would be imported using
> > SMB.
>
> The server you're importing from...is it Unix or Windows?  If it's a
> Unix machine, why not just use NFS instead of SMB?  Or do you have a
> specific need to use SMB?

NFS is piece of crap, it supports neither locking, nor quotas.
on the other hand I already export [homes] via SMB. I just
wanted that /home/someuser to be mounted at the time user logs in.
It would be nice. Another advantage of SMB is that, I can export
some directories with read/write permissions, some directories
with read-only, an some directories I probably don't want to export.
That machine has "/" on a single partition, so NFS makes me export
"/" as read/write. I don't want that.

> Tim

Regards, (Наилучшие пожелания)
Ilia Chipitsine (Илья Шипицин)