Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 2002 02:52:07 -0500
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        Tabor Kelly <tkelly@pdxmax.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4 trouble: reboots

On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 02:50:48PM -0700, Tabor Kelly wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I just installed FreeBSD RELEASE 4.5 on my new Athalon. It is an XP 1700
> on an Asus A7V333 motherboard.

That's probably the issue.  There was a PR for this.

If you do cvsup and make buildworld and installworld, the issue should
go away.  Mr. Malone, who was handling the PR, has fixed it.  (It had
to do with MTRR on some of the ASUS boards)

The quick and dirty hack still involves recompiling the kernel.

First, you'd edit your /usr/src/sys/i386/i386/i686_mem.c file (I'd
back it up first, of course, but..)
Around line 269 you'll see
u_int         cr4save;

mrd = sc->mr_desc;

In between those two lines, simply insert

return;

Then recompile the kernel. Say you haven't yet made a custom kernel
and are using GENERIC.

cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
config GENERIC

You'll see
source is ../../compile/GENERIC
Don't forget to do make depend

Then,
cd ../../compile/GENERIC
make depend && make && make install

Reboot and you should be good to go.

(You probably know most of this, but if not, this saves you a bit of
reading)

Then things should work. The whole thing of the spontaneous reboot and
nothing in the logs was pretty typical of the problem.

HTH
Scott Robbins