Date:      26 Jan 2001 17:19:33 +0000
From:      Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
To:        John Heyer <john@snake.supranet.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nothing logged to syslog

John Heyer <john@snake.supranet.net> writes:

> I've recently been having random problems with two of my logs
> (/var/log/maillog and /var/log/daemon.log) being empty after they are
> rotated on my 4.1 system.  For example, nothing has been logged to
> /var/log/maillog even though I'm sending and receiving messages.  This is
> really odd because I haven't modified syslog.conf or newsyslog.conf in
> months.  What's more bizarre is this will happen for a day, then be fine
> for a few days, then happen again.  I've tried running newsyslog from the
> command line and restarting syslogd.  Any ideas?

Couple of things...

Make sure that syslogd is either HUPed or restarted after the logs are
rotated.

See if the rotated log (eg mail.old) is still having data written to
it. If so, then the syslog process probably needs either a HUP or a
SIGUSR1 signal sent to it.

--
- Wayne Pascoe
E-mail: wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk