Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 2002 13:52:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Sean Hamilton <sh@planetquake.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: arplookup: host is not on local network

On Sat, 10 Aug 2002, Sean Hamilton wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have a FreeBSD box being colocated. Every few seconds, I get the following
> message:
>
> /kernel: arplookup 216.187.x.x failed: host is not on local network
>
> As I understand, this 216.187.x.x machine is acting as a "proxy arp". I
> think it's supposed to be completely transparent, but evidently my box is
> noticing.

Got to love broken linux boxes.

Linux has this fun habit of announcing ARPs for all interfaces on all
other interfaces.  It drives BSD boxes batty since its abnormal, but it is
allowed behavior.  That or someone has a seriously broken netmask.

You should check that your network configuration is correct first, then
use tcpdump to locate the offender and report them to your provider. They
can ask the owner of said machine politely to install the patches or set
/proc flags to disable that behavior. You can, of course, comment out the
printfs, or hide it behind log_arp_wrong_iface which is controlled by the
sysctl net.link.ether.inet.log_arp_wrong_iface. The file you want to
modify in that case is src/sys/netinet/if_ether.c.

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org