Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 15:46:33 +0200
From:      Gunnar Flygt <gunnar@pluto.sr.se>
To:        Rick Knebel <rknebel@uplink.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Direction of FreeBsd

On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 at 07:24:54AM -0500, Rick Knebel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have used multiple Linux distributions and am getting tired of
> the differences in them and trying to decide which is the best.
> I like freebsd because there is just one version and one set of
> developers. My question is where is freebsd going in its
> development?
>
> Linux is obviously shooting towards a more user friendly desktop.
> They are certainly getting support from the big names.
>
> Will freebsd be moving towards a more user friendly installation and
> user friendly desktop?

All the sorts of desktops you can get for Linux, you can also use with
FreeBSD. I assume you mean X windows desktops. I have used, so far,
fvwm2, AfterStep and WindowMaker.

> If all these companies like corel start developing apps for linux, will
> they be usable on freebsd?

Many of them are running on FreeBSD, since FreeBSD has got (if you want
so) linux compatibilty built in.

> I like freebsd but I do not wnat to put a big investment in it and be left
> out in the cold so to speak.

Do you consider 40$ to be a `big investment`? If so why not just make a
FTP installation from the net. That will cost you only the two floppies
needed

--
                           __o
regards, Gunnar       ---_ \<,_