Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:57:12 +0000
From:      "N.J. Mann" <njm@njm.me.uk>
To:        Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3@amdmi3.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal: mechanism for local patches

In message <20081203131234.GD70240@hades.panopticon>,
	Dmitry Marakasov (amdmi3@amdmi3.ru) wrote:
> * G. Paul Ziemba (pz-freebsd-ports@ziemba.us) wrote:
[...]
> > 2. I'm not sure we need the test for *.orig|*.rej|*~|*,v, but it
> >    wouldn't hurt. Maybe it helps admins who are actively developing
> >    local patches. I see that it's in the existing do-patch code above.
>
> I suppose that check was done to help to detect patching failures, so it
> may be removed.

I've just been trying out your patch and I think from an organisational
point of view it is very good.  What I mean by this is that with the
patch I am now able to keep my local patches completely separate from
the official, FreeBSD patches.  No more backing up the whole of
/usr/ports just in case I have a private patch in there somewhere.  Now
I just need to backup /usr/ports.localpatchdir (which is what I called
the directory LOCAPATCHDIR points to).

However, please consider putting back in the test for *.orig and *~
files.  That way one can be actively be hacking on a patch without
having to keep deleting editor backup files, which you may not wish to
delete anyway, before attempting another build.  In my case I see no
need to skip *.rej and *,v files, but others may have a need for them.

I hope some form of your patch gets into the tree once 7.1 ships.

Cheers,
       Nick.