Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:46:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposal for the CPU interrupt API

> :I would hope it would actually disable interrupts.
>
>     On all cpu's or just the current cpu?

Undefined. This depends on the architecture. Some architectures don't have a
global interrupt lockout mechanism. Some architectures vary as to whether or
not interrupts can be directed to one CPU, broadcast to all, or only for a
specific CPU.

I think it's safe to say that given your specific platform's interrupt
mechanism, this disable_intr disables for this CPU only, or for all.

This function should probably only be called from MD code. It's not very MI.
The MI code has spin && adaptive locks and should be using just those. I can't
imagine any case with the exception of debuggers and console I/O that might
get terribly upset about this- in which case these subsystems have extensions
into MD layers anyway.

-matt