Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 2000 21:50:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        David Kulp <dkulp@cse.ucsc.edu>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dream ultralight?...

> I'm in the market for another laptop.  My old 120Mhz Toshiba is just
> feeling too slow and the 1GB disk drive too limiting.  Perhaps someone
> has a recommendation given the following specs and assuming price is
> not a concern.
>
> RAM: expandable > 128M
> CPU: at least 300Mhz
> Disk space: at least 4GB
> Weight: prefer ultralight or at most 7lb
> Keyboard: not too small, but slightly smaller than standard OK
> Mouse: touchpad or stick, I don't care
> Display: at least 12" TFT and 1024x768 (don't care about graphics card speed)
> Ports: at least 1 PCMCIA and prefer built-in Ethernet
> Battery Life: at least 2 hours (perhaps by means of an addtl battery)
> Sound: I don't care. Not important.

I just picked up a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4360ZDVD - P3-700, 128M, 12G,
15" 1024x768.  I've had three other Toshibas that have always worked
flawlessly with FreeBSD & Linux, so I decided to stick with what I've
always been happy with.  Aside from a small installation inconvenience
(the Win98 CD that is included auto-fdisk's the drive to one big Win
partition - FIPS fixed that) and an XFree86 problem (the Savage-IX chipset
isn't officially supported, but there's a fix you can apply that gives
not-quite-perfect results), everything else has been just peachy...  If
you want "perfect" results on X, the demo version of the Xig server works
just fine, even though the 4300s aren't listed on the "supported
chipsets" page.  (I blew all my cash on the laptop - can't quite squeak
another $150 past my wife right now for the commercial X server..:) )
Battery life so far has been great - when it's running in low-power mode,
I get 4-5 hours without too much trouble - 3 hours in high-power mode.

mike