Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 11:55:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com, jasonm@webace.com.au, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reboots Automaticly

> On Monday, 27 July 1998 at 10:46:00 +0800, Jason McKay wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am running a P266 MMX, 64megs of RAM with FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE.  It has
> > started to reboot with out notice or reason.  Below is the log of automatic
> > reboots so far:
> >
> > reboot   ~                         Mon Jul 27 10:38
> > reboot   ~                         Mon Jul 27 09:01
> > reboot   ~                         Sun Jul 26 12:16
> > reboot   ~                         Thu Jul 23 21:24
> > reboot   ~                         Fri Jul 17 19:41
> > reboot   ~                         Mon Jul 13 15:45
> > reboot   ~                         Sat Jul 11 21:04
> > reboot   ~                         Fri Jul 10 07:01
> >
> > No error messages are reported.  Any suggestions?
>
> This is probably some type of strange hardware problem.  Can we assume
> that you haven't installed new software (including a new kernel) or
> new hardware?  You also haven't changed your BIOS settings?  Then I'd
> guess memory first.  Remove 32 MB of memory and see if it continues.
> If it does, then replace those 32 MB with the other 32 MB, etc.
>
> Greg
> --
> See complete headers for address and phone numbers
> finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key

 Yes - I would tend to agree with the hardware angle.. unless I
was also getting mysterious reboots after installing 2.2.6 (which I am.)

 That is, this is a resounding "me too."

 I can't rule out a hardware problem on my end... but, the problem
mysteriously coincided with the 2.2.6 upgrade.   There's
a TR for this now;  see kern/7367.

	- Dave Rivers -