Date:      Tue, 14 Feb 2012 14:12:59 -0800
From:      perryh@pluto.rain.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printing directly to IP address

Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net> wrote:

> I know it is possible; however, I cannot find any actual
> documentation under the "printing" section in the FreeBSD
> manual.  If anyone could provide a link to such documentation,
> it would be appreciated.

Provided the printer supports lpd protocol, i.e. it looks like
a remote BSD machine operating as a print server, the setup is
covered in the "Networked Printing" handbook section (as of 6.1
-- I don't seem to have any newer doc package installed).  The
comments in /etc/printcap are also useful, and there's some
coverage in the Corporate Networker's Guide:  "Setting up LPR/LPD
on FreeBSD" and "Printing from UNIX".