Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 18:06:24 -0500
From:      Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
To:        J A MIKES <ami_kes@prodigy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compu-illiterate

J A MIKES wrote:

> I am a retired polymer scientist very active in philosophical
> discussion-lists on the internet. Am looking for an inexpensive
> server where I could establish my web-site - with getting into the
> internet without hefty fees. I don't understand most of the FreeBSD
> and Apache texts on Yahoo, what I visited reading this week's
> Economist.
> I have an Aptiva ED5/Win-98/LotusWordpro, did most of my 10 years on
> the internet in ASCII-e-mail - Prodigy, which dies in October, so I
> am looking for a next possibility.
> I can't buy expensive softwares and don't understand the manuals.
> Can you help me??????
> John Mikes Ph.D., D.Sc., <ami_kes@juno.com> or
>                                      <ami_kes@prodigy.com>

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-doc" in the body of the message
Hi, wrong list, next time ask on <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>,
If I understand, you want your own server, right?
It should not be to hard
1) You need some space on your hard drive, FreeBSD need it's own
partition, and cannot run on top of Windows...
2) You will need to
-price may be innacurate, has I'm in Canada-
A) Buy the FreeBSD cd-rom from Walnut Creek(30$)
B) Buy the FreeBSD cd-rom+Greg Lehey's book "The Complete
FreeBSD"(30-60$)
C) Download FreeBSD on the internet(0$) using two boot floppies who will
fetch it for you:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html
Read carefully "3.If you don't have a CDROM distribution then simply
read..."
3) Apache is an (easy to configure) software that will serve web pages.
Thank You
--
[Malartre][malartre@aei.ca][French piss me off - Cartman, South Park]
[The FreeBSD User Guide][http://www.aei.ca/~malartre/freebsd/]