Date:      Sat, 3 Feb 2001 10:31:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Marc W <mwlist@lanfear.com>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD tanks on an Athlon 750

> -----------------------------
> From:  "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
> Sent:  02/03/01 01:05>

> Is the Turbo button not pushed in?

    There isn't a turbo button -- haven't had a case in a looong time
with one of those :-)  I'll see if there's a cable inside the machine
that might want to hook up to connectors on the board though.

> Most obvious question is what is the status/size of the CPU cache?  Is
> it disabled in BIOS?

    The motherboard is an Asus K7M -- there are jumpers, but they default
to being not used, and the motherboard/BIOS automatically detects and
sets the bus to 100Mhz.  I tried changing it to 150 and got the message
"warning -- the CPU has been having [sic] overclocked!!!!"

    The cache settings are all in an enabled looking state (I have a
choice between writetrhu and disabled).  The ONLY thing I can see that
could be an issue is that the system does, in fact, want PC100 memory, and
all I've got are PC133s ... However, before I put the 133 in, it was using
PC100 and still tanked ...

    wacky.

    thanks!

    marc.