Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 2001 02:47:44 +0100
From:      Bernd Luevelsmeyer <bdluevel@heitec.net>
To:        Rob <rob@robhulme.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Putting my box through its paces... make world?!?

Rob wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just replaced the memory on a co located server that I have because it
> kept crashing with page faults and stuff... It was suggested before that it
> might have been crashing because the memory was bad, and whenever there was
> a lot of activity on the box it would crash...
>
> Now I've replaced the memory I'd like to really put it through its paces to
> see if it crashes or not.

To test the RAM I recommend "memtest86", at
http://reality.sgi.com/cbrady_denver/memtest86/

> I'm quite new to FreeBSD - but can I just:
>
> cd /usr/src
> buildworld

You mean "make buildworld", I assume.

You could do that. It will stress the machine, but it's not designed to
be a memory test. You may well miss defects in unused parts of the RAM,
or it may not stress the RAM enough to exhibit all defects.

> If I do this - it won't actually change any of the configuration of my
> system will it? It won't replace any files (the kernel, etc...) - all it
> will do is rebuild the source (but not install it) - right?

The machine's configuration will not change. All generated files will be
in /usr/obj and they are not used unless you install them with "make
installworld".

> Is this the right thing to do?

"make buildworld" is a test, but I recommend memtest86 anyway; or a
hardware RAM tester, but they are expensive.

Greetings,
	Bernd