Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 18:23:10 +0100
From:      Christoph Sold <christoph.sold@server.i-clue.de>
To:        TODD WITTER <witter@wpr.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install question / partitions

TODD WITTER schrieb:

> Hi there.
> I have been wanting to install FreeBSD 4.1 on my computer but am
> a little confused with the fdisk portion of the install.
> Currently I have 2 windows partitions, C and D.

That's one primary partition in slice 0 and a logical partition in slice
1.

> When installing
> linux, they are labeled as /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda5.  When
> installing FBSD, I don't see my D partition listed, nor my current
> linux partitions.
> I would eventually like to have a triple boot system with windows
> still on C and D, Free BSD and Linux (debian).
> A)  Is this possible?

Yes.

> B)  Why does it look like FreeBSD's fdisk doesn't recognize the
> linux partitions?

Because they are probably installed as externded partition in slice 1.

> C)  If I'm willing to lose my current linux install, what is the best
> course of action to take?  (I'm also a bit concerned with losing that
> D partition in windows as I mentioned above.)

Backup. Install from start. Everything else should only done if
experienced enough. If experiencved enough, you would backup first...

HTH
-Christoph Sold